I’ve been marinating on my one word the last few days. Words like learner, reflective, and flexible are all things I want to work on and be. But it just wasn’t enough. So here it is…my word: model. That is what I want to do and be this year.

I want to model innovation with my students and teachers. We are starting the year with a maker unit. I am scared and excited all at the same time. The unknown is huge, but the payoff could be even bigger. My students will have to be bold and fearless, and I will have to be supportive and a model of design thinking. For my teachers I want to model innovation through sharing what I am learning by blogging, on Twitter, and through my conferences.

I want to model fairness. My favorite saying is fair is a place where you eat fried Oreos and ride rides, it is not a state of being. So perhaps fairness isn’t the best term. I want to model fairness for students and teachers by giving everyone what they need when they need it. I have pushed some teachers more than others to use technology, present at conferences, and step out of their comfort zone. Others I have moved along more slowly. The same goes with my students. I push some students more in Accelerated Reader, class projects, and activities. I plan to continue pushing those who are ready, and pulling those who are not. I want to be more visible in that approach so students and teachers know what I am doing as see the difference between fairness and equality.

I want to model effectiveness. In my teaching, in my media center, and in my “other duties as assigned”. I want to work smarter, not harder. If it involves a technology tool, then I want to share that tool. If it involves grunt work, then I want to find the best way to do that.

Finally, I want to model happiness. I want to show my joy of learning, of life, and of growing as a professional. It is important for kids to see the joy you can get from reading, learning, and growing. Any time someone asks my mom how she is, she replies “teriifically,wonderfully, fine, thanks!” She says if you say it enough, you will believe it. I am going to model joy and happiness, even when I don’t feel it…until I do feel it!

So there is my word for 2016: model. What’s your word and why?