OSMO

According to the makers

Osmo has a magical ability to turn physical objects and interactions into digital game elements. The technology that makes this possible is called Reflective Artificial Intelligence (AI), a phrase we created to describe the process that allows the iPad to make sense of what it sees. There are two main components of Reflective AI: the red Osmo reflector (a mirror), and the computer vision algorithms that process the data. Working together, the reflector and our computer vision software give the iPad the ability to integrate physical objects into our games in real time. Osmo has been tested in over 100 schools worldwide, and has thousands of hours spent with children. We’ve taken input and advice from scores of educators and parents.

Current Games

Tangram- Arrange tangible puzzle pieces into matching on‑screen shapes. Play with a friend or challenge yourself to more advanced levels as your handy‑work lights up with each victory.

Newton- Use your creative noggin and inventive objects like a hand‑drawn basket, grandma’s glasses, dad’s keys, or anything around you to guide falling on‑screen balls into targeted zones.

Words- Be the first to guess and spell out the on‑screen hidden word by tossing down real‑life letters faster than your friends. A related picture gives the clue. NEW- You can create your own words games online and play them on OSMO!

Osmo according to Penchev

This is WWWAAAYYYY cool! I don’t know how it works, but the amazing way it recognizes shapes and words, and drawings is mind blowing!  I demoed the product with my K-5 classes and they all loved it and wanted to buy it immediately for themselves.

I see this tool as a great way to work with students on their word recognition, sounds, and spelling. With the new option to create your own word lists, the classroom possibilities are endless! The tangrams puzzles provide students with ways to use matching skills and build their spatial recognition. I haven’t played much with Newton yet, but the tests so far are so fun.

The cost is very low for a system of this magnitude. I have even used the “backing” as a lesson on product development for the students. We are so excited to continue playing!

IMG_1765[1] IMG_1766[1] IMG_1768[1]