Our cool new TECH tool this week is the website www.glogster.com. The education version of this program is edu.glogster.com. Oddly enough, the regular glogster is free, while the educational version costs money….go figure. So what are the benefits of paying for a free account? There are four payment options: 2 for individual teachers and 2 for schools. The teacher options are $29.95 for up to 50 and $99 for up to 200 accounts. The teacher accounts offer management of student accounts, removes ads from the page, and creates portfolios for students. For specific information on the options and benefits of each account go to http://edu.glogster.com/product-information/.

So what is a glog? This is a way to create an online multimedia poster that teachers can use to teach and students can use to show their learning. You can add pictures, words, and videos, as well as clipart to create a poster.

So how can glogster be used in the classroom? Well I brainstormed ideas with my “techspert” student Jonathan and here is how we feel teachers can use it:

Judaics can use for holidays like an entire entrance to a new holiday put fun facts up and videos about customs
Hebrew can use it for teaching like a song she puts the lyrics and images
Math: Create a poster about math ideas: geometric terms, how to find perimeter
Reading: book reports, biographies, parts of speech
Writing: Persuasive posters, Nonfiction reports, Character study
Social Studies: timelines, today in history
Science: what we have learned, introductions

We also discussed how students could use glogster and here are some ideas:
Reports on people and places
Book reports
Showing how Math is all around us
How to divide decimals
Science experiment posters
Poetry shares
Adjectives list and explanations

Here is my first glogster, I made it for my cousin for her birthday! Here is Jonathan’s glogster about his trip. 

The video explanation is at http://youtu.be/mt79wjLUAgY
After you have thought about this new TECH tool, please leave about how you could use it in the classroom!